We’ve all done something in our youth that might have wiped us off the face of the earth.
Or is that just me?
Only I wasn’t that young. I was in my 30s. It was a dark and stormy night. No really, it was. I worked as a copy editor at the Greensboro (N.C.) News & Record. And a thunderstorm and high winds ripped through the downtown streets. Disarray reigned.
Or, just a lot of rainwater.
And a road sign. A left-hand turn sign, big and reflectively yellow, sat in the middle of Market Street. Just waiting for me. “I’mna get it,” I said to the sports desk, and I might as well have said, “hey y’all – watch this!” which is a Southerner’s famous last words.
I ran into the street. With lightning crackling all around (and while my colleagues looked on from the safety of an upstairs window), I snatched up the sign, hoisted it on my head, and ran like hell for the door.
All that story, just to introduce you to Lightning Day. It’s today, you know. And I’m glad we could share this edition of 6 Words, rather than remember the dumb copy editor who risked it all for a street sign.
In honor of Hemingway’s assertion you can tell any story in a six-word sentence, I asked bloggers, friends, strangers, and a few strange blogger friends to answer a prompt in recognition of the holiday:
Give us one shocking thing about yourself – in a six-word sentence.
I got a load of good responses, and one blogger, Joey Resciniti of Big Teeth and Clouds blog, even wrote a post about her electrifying experience.
Here they are. While you read them, stay out of the street, away from windows, and definitely don’t play golf under these conditions. Don’t even get me started on street signs.
1. Sold beer out of my locker.
Kate H., author of Can I Get Another Bottle of Whine blog
2. Childhood home suffered thirteen lightning strikes.
Joey R., author of Big Teeth Clouds blog
3. Managed to stay up past 9.
Meredith S., author of The Mom of the Year blog
4. From Texas and don’t eat beef.
Meredith E., author of Perfection Pending blog
5. I have had nightmares about Jello.
Megan W., author of The Walker Fireside Chats blog
6. Fiercely stubborn, indecisive, honest and loving.
Janine H., author of Confessions of a Mommyaholic blog
7. Gave birth to six children naturally.
Kristin S., author of Whole Lotta Mama blog
8. I read deSade’s novels at grandma’s…
Letizia, author of Reading Interrupted blog
9. I’m dazed and confused almost always.
Debbie, author of Heartbeats~Soul Stains blog
10. Mostly I don’t wash my produce.
Cindy R., author of Reedster Speaks blog
11. Insert disc, crank volume = dancing queen.
Rory B., author of Time Out for Mom blog
12. used to eat ants, wood, soil.
beth k., author of i didn’t have my glasses on … blog
13. Reads the end of books first.
Allison C., author of Go Dansker Mom blog
14. I’d rather clean toilets than drive.
Rosey M., author of Mail 4 Rosey blog
15. Meat lover, but I’m vegetarian now!
Brittnei W., author of Homemaking with Style blog
16. I’ve seen Star Wars 30+ times.
Ashley T., author of The Confessions of a Working Mum blog
17. Fun tattoos covered by corporate attire.
Kerry R., author of Breadwinning Mama blog
18. I was almost a surrogate mother.
Michele P., author of Old Dog, New Tits blog
19. I can read upside down and backwards.
Bonnie F., author of Lady Blogger blog
20. Still sleeps with childhood bed buddy.
Jenn S., author of Jenn’s Midlife Crisis blog
21. Ghost Hunters once investigated my house.
Mel B., author of World According to Mags blog
22. Five kids,including twins, still sane.
Marie P., author of Normal Everyday Life blog
23. I dig the baby poop smell. =)
Brittany B., author of Brittany Bullen blog
24. I’ve been in Morgan Freeman’s apartment.
Gina T., author of Full of it … blog
Megan L., author of Meaningful Mommy blog
26. For an introvert, I’m surprisingly sociable.
Erica A., author of A Sign of Life blog
27. I love taking pictures of insects.
Michelle R., author of Framing My Focus blog
28. I have never watched FROZEN ever.
Rea A., author of REAlity Bites blog
29. Teenage rebellion: two tattoos, six piercings.
Caroline, author of High Heels to Hidden Toys blog
30. Never been drunk, never been stoned.
Tamara B., author of Tamara Camera blog
31. I workout for wine and Cheetos!!!
Kim T., author of Day With KT blog
32. I almost ate a veggie burger.
Eli P., author of Coach Daddy blog