Y’all love chocolate. Y’all love wine. A couple of you seem to love a massage, music, and yoga.
But overwhelmingly, if you have a Hermit Day, it’d be loaded with books, sleep, and alone time.
Every month, I compile a post called 6 Words. Ernest Hemingway inspired it when he said any story can be told in a six-word sentence. I ask bloggers, friends, strangers, and a few strange blogger friends to respond to a prompt.
Oct. 29 is Hermit Day.
How would you spend an ideal day all to yourself, in six words?
You’ll see a few trends in the record 80-plus responses here. Even though a couple of you mentioned sex (or ‘hubbida hubbida,’ like Aunie), your hermit heritage revolves around words and solitude. And only one mentioned pizza.
Oh wait. That might have been me.
Books appeared in 20 sentences. Sleep, 17 (nine more mentioned ‘nap’). A telling 12 contained the word alone. And 10 wanted to spend Hermit Day on the beach.
Check out the top 10 most common words, then tell us – how would you spend Hermit Day?
1. Alone with several bars of chocolate.
Marcia D., of Menopausal Mother blog
2. Searching for the true inner me.
Laurie S., of Adventures in Writing blog
3. Workout, food, massage, food, hubbada-hubbada, dessert.
Aunie, of Aunie Sauce blog
4. I would go shopping at Target.
Jenn D., of More Than a Mom of Three blog
5. Did someone freaking steal my kids?
Jaime C., of The Fruitful Mama blog
6. An Oceanside retreat, books and me!
Rosey, of Mail 4 Rosey blog
7. Coffee, bed, books, too much Netflix.
Elle, of Elle Sees blog
8. Walk in park with changing leaves.
Holly, of Back Home Again blog
9. Cookie tour, nap, ice cream tour.
Tamara B., of Tamara (Like) Camera blog
10. Praying someone saves me from myself.
Momus, of The Next Delusion blog
11. Rejoicing in the absence of others.
Cassandra, of The Next Delusion blog
12. Have Netflix and tea, will veg.
Rory, of Time Out for Mom blog
13. On the beach with a book.
Hilary, of Feeling Beachie blog
14. Cuddled with my blanket enjoying movies.
Tammy A., of My Life Abundant blog
15. Crocheting scarves and playing video games.
Shauna S., of Barefoot and Loving It blog
16. Sleep alone. Poop alone. Read alone.
Anna L., of My Life and Kids blog
17. Coffee, spa, massage, and a book!
Natalie, of Knoxville Moms blog
18. Bed, book, wine, bath, bed, sex.
Andra W., of Accidental Coochie Mama blog
19. I’d be alone in a crowd.
Sarah D., of Journeys of the Zoo blog
20. Mountain retreat with my computer, writing.
Tina G., of Tina Gayle blog
21. Me, Netflix, Twitter, no kids…beautiful.
Kate H., of Can I Get Another Bottle of Whine blog
22. In my car listening to Pandora.
Jen K., of Jen Kehl blog
23. Turquoise waters, pina coladas, sunshine, sand.
Lesley C., of Bucketlist Productions blog
24. Book, music, coffee, book, music, coffee.
Kathy R., of My Dishwasher’s Possessed blog
25. Spa day all alone – totally Heaven!
Kathy G., of Kissing the Frog blog
26. Coffee, read, nap, write, wine, repeat.
Caitlin P., of Crossroads of the Heart blog
27. Catered reading and napping in sunshine!
Rabia L., of The Lieber Family blog
28. Yoga, sleep, read, sleep, write, sleep.
Deb G., of Urban Moo Cow blog
29. Pee alone, be alone, sleep alone.
Katy C., of Experienced Bad Mom blog
30. Nap, TV, junk food, repeat … alone!
Jamie J., of Kreyv blog
31. Good book, warm beach, stiff drink.
Stacey G., of One Funny Motha blog
32. Sleep in, pancakes and read uninterrupted.
Karen K., of Book Delight blog
33. Yoga, brunch, books, pedicure, and naps.
Court, of Baking in My Bathing Suit blog
34. Only one word is needed: Pinterest.
Sara L., of Sweet Silly Sara blog
35. Taking deep heady breaths of freedom.
Jo, of Slummy Single Mummy blog
36. Cabin in mountains with good books.
April P., of My Bizarre Family blog
37. Great book, comfy chair, chocolate bar.
Dana H., of Kiss My List blog
38. Me, a book, on the beach.
Tricia M., of Raising Humans blog
39. Secret single behavior, I’ll never tell.
Britt S., of A Physical Perspective blog
40. Catch up on shows on Netflix.
Theresa M., of Theresa’s Mixed Nuts blog
41. Close the curtains, it’s cozy time.
Kim S., of Co-Pilot Mom blog
42. Yoga, couch, blanket, book, coffee, quiet.
Christine Y., of Love Life Surf blog
43. Massage, tropical drink, beach…enough said.
Toni P., of A Daily Dose of Toni blog
44. I’d spend it with my iPod!
Stephanie B., of Stephanie’s Barnaba’s Blog
45. Treadmill, hot bath, daiquiri, then nap.
Shannon E., of Radio Chick’s Confessions blog
46. Sleep, sleep, sleep, sleep, eat, sleep.
Katie M., of Pick Any Two blog
47. Running, reading, blogging and eating chocolate.
Sarah W., of Mum of Three World blog
48. Soaking up sun while drinking wine!
Kim T., of Day with K-T blog
49. Nose in books, wearing my pajamas.
Roxanne, of Unintentionally Brilliant blog
50. Hanging out on a beach somewhere.
Nicki L., of LewisLane Designs blog
51. Beach walk, relaxing chansons with champagne.
Judit, of Glamorous Bite blog
52. Swim surf before Happy Hour cocktail!
Corina, of Glamorous Bite blog
53. Hike to the top, take selfie!
Raine V., of Pursuit Peace blog
54. Binging on Netflix and food uninterrupted.
Blair F., of Baby for Scale blog
55. Books, park, sun and pearl tea.
Tat A., of Mum in Search blog
56. Book, beer, beach, laptop, music, chocolate.
Stephanie J., of When Crazy Meets Exhaustion blog
57. Hammock on beach, napping in shade.
Michelle N., of A Dish of Daily Life blog
58. on my couch with no timeline.
beth k., of i didn’t have my glasses on … blog
59. Surrounded by mom’s love, in pictures.
Jennifer M., of Mommyhoodom blog
60. Music, chocolate, wine, bubble bath time.
Stephanie-May, of Darkyblue blog
61. Good food and on the computer!
Kristen D., of Kristen Duke Photography blog
62. SO EASY – sleep, sleep, sleep, sleep.
Meredith S., of The Mom of the Year blog
63. A pampered golden silence shopping spree.
Janine H., of Janine’s Confessions of a Mommyaholic blog
64. It would be a pampering day.
Chloe, of The Girl Who Clicked blog
65. Comfy clothes, coffee, couch, crochet, cat.
Jennifer H., of I’m Dancing in the Rain blog
66. Sunbathing while drinking an iced coffee.
Sharon, of Mayor of Crazyville blog
67. Reading and writing, books and blogs.
Jon H., of Brother Jon’s Page blog
68. Alone with my sixth favorite person.
May, of Messy Money blog
69. With my toes in the sand.
Jillian S., of Jillian Loves blog
70. On the beach, margarita in hand.
Lisa W., of The Golden Spoons blog
71. I’m alone – who lost the kids?
Kerri A., of Undiagnosed But Okay blog
72. Coffee, write, nap, love, eat, sleep.
John M., of The Good Men Project blog
73. Dirty Jobs marathon, wine, cheese, chocolate.
Teri B., of Snarkfest blog
74. Stuck at home – social anxiety sucks.
Kerri H., of Momma of 4 Cutiez blog
75. Run, yoga, eat, seated and silent.
Michele P., of A Pace of Balance blog
76. A beach, a book, and booze.
Kerry R., of House TalkN blog
77. Bubble bath, good book and bordeaux.
Vickie M., of Vickie Martin Arts blog
78. Writing the next great American novel.
Michele P., of Old Dog, New Tits blog
79. Who? What? Where? When? Not today!
Christina, of Exhale Joy blog
80. Pen and paper, in the woods.
Kristen, of Bye Bye Beer blog
81. Run and write without feeling guilty.
Julia T., of Diary of a Word Nerd blog
82. Sun, water, fishing, nature, peace, God.
Toby S., of Real Dumbass News blog
83. Reading, writing, eating, napping, minivan parked.
Lisa, of Notes From the Shallow End blog
84. Beach, spa, books, and some cocktails!
Rea A., of REALity Bites blog
84. Sleep in, read, eat, read again.
Marie, of Everyday Life blog
85. Shade, beach, ocean, drink, book, relax.
Tammie B., of The Graying Chronicles blog
86. Chick flick, fluffy socks, blanket, M&Ms.
Tamara G., of Confessions of a Part-time Working Mom blog
87. Searching for the pieces I’ve lost.
Jen G., of Jen Groeber Mama Art blog
88. So writing and painting equal prayer.
Jennifer L., of That’s a Jenn Story blog
89. Run first, then nap and read.
Deb., of Deb Runs blog
90. Disc golf, frozen pizza, Wi-Fi time.
Eli P., of Coach Daddy blog
These are all so great! Thanks for including me, Eli!
Not a bad one in the bunch, April. Thanks for playing!
Apparently your readers are a sleep deprived lot.. myself included! Thanks for including me!
Maybe I should shorten my posts, or not push them live at midnight! I suspect y’all would just say up late watching “Full House” anyway.
Thanks for getting in the game again, Debbie!
my hubby was all insulted by my answer at first – because sex was not listed. but then I reminded him that I had the day to MYSELF. being a man.. he only paused for a second to think about that. *eyeroll*
another great 6 words showing.
You raise a great point, Rore – must a hermit be alone? If so, contributors such as Andra and Aunie have some ‘splaining to do.
Was husband’s mouth agape as he considered it? *face palm* We men have so much to overcome.
This one was pretty stellar, wasn’t it?
There are so many good ideas here…not a bad one in the bunch, like you said. I have to say I like the ones about eat alone, pee alone, poop alone the best. And I’d add shower alone. Why is it that a Mom can’t get five minutes – anywhere – without interruption? 😀
It’s a good haul, Lisa. Dads don’t get bugged in the shower and at the toilet as much as moms. Something about the king and his throne there somewhere.
*eye roll* OK, we’ll go with that…
Every king must have a castle.
I love it, Eli!! Haha, thanks for the mention in the top! 🙂
Thanks Aunie! Hope people make their way over to your considerably awesome space.