Like The Greg Kihn Band says, “they don’t write ‘em like that anymore.”
Check out this old-school ad for Reeses’ Peanut Butter Cups.
Forget the fact that a woman would prance down the boulevard chomping from a jar of peanut butter with her bare hands (dreamy as it sounds.) Forget the creepy old dude who pops in with a candy bar near the end. Chocolate and peanut butter, circa 1927, were separate entities.
Until they mash together through forces of the universe. Sometimes, the combination proves dastardly (a bobcat and me in a phone booth, for instance). Other times, it’s pure magic (onion rings on a cheeseburger, or The Beverly Hillbillies, in fact.)
Every month, I compile a post called “6 Words.” Ernest Hemingway inspired it when he said any story can be told in six words. I ask bloggers, friends, strangers, and a few strange blogger friends to respond to a prompt.
August 31 is National Matchmaker Day. Put together things that you feel belong together. Think “Katy Perry, Joe Biden, singing karaoke” or “Bacon Pizza and trip to Fenway,” or something even better.
I attribute contributions as first name, last initial, and link to the person’s blog.
Congress ought to put some of these combos into bills, stat. Others? Well … maybe the health department or homeland security should start a file. Just saying.
What would you put together?
1. Our love started with a smile.
Charlene A., of Thinking Outside the Pot
2. Prosecco, prosciutto and world peace. Perfection.
Jen G., of Jen Grober: Mama Art
3. Peanut butter and jelly of course!
Lisa, of Life of an El Paso Woman
4. Parenting, kids’ bedtime, a bottle of wine.
Eric W., of All in a Dad’s Work
5. Verbal judo and knife hands: Hooah!
Annelise R., of Aunie Sauce
6. Pandora shuffle, walking shoes, Saturday morning!
Tiffany M., of Sounds Like Life to Me
7. Books, coffee, cats in one place.
Ellen, of 15 and Meowing
8. Two shots of espresso, afternoon playdate.
Ashley T., of The Confessions of a Working Mum
9. Violent radicals, group hugs, family dinners.
10. Salt on watermelon and reading outside.
Britt S., of Britt Skrabanek
11. flaming hot cheetos couch beer movie.
Beth K., of i didn’t have my glasses on …
12. Sheldon Cooper deeply loves big trains.
Lisa, of Blondie’s BEARista
13. Man invents tiny stick, burns fingers.
Giles R., of You the Daddy
14. Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, debate moderator.
Mo, of Mocadeaux
15. Chocolate…pretzels… match made in heaven!
Ritu B., of But I Smile Anyway
16. My kids with their teachers, STAT.
Christine C., of The Mom Café
17. Paper and pen – back to school.
Clay W., of Making the Days Count
18. Teenagers, mobile phones, everything they do.
Rhonda A., of Albom Adventures
19. Dipping fries in a Wendy’s Frosty.
Roxanne P., of Unintentionally Brilliant
20. Tyrannosaurus Rex and a storm cellar.
Suzanne, of A Window Into the Woods
21. Captain Sulley and Walter Matthau fishing.
Naila M., of Just the Stuff Ya Know
22. My lungs and sweet, sweet cigarettes.
Tyler A., of Tyler Charles Austen
23. Elf and Leprechaun enjoying summer vacation.
Tamara G., of Confessions of a Part-Time Working Mom
24. Beach, waves, salt air – soul space.
25. One busy dad, stormtrooper in pocket.
Eli P., of Coach Daddy