It’s been a while since I’ve done an I Believe post.
Not that I don’t still believe, because I do. Some days, it’s easier than others to see it. Every day, though, we carry with us beliefs. Mine pop up in conversation, email, texts, comment responses, court depositions.
Kidding on that last one.
What do you believe? I’m only slightly (and very slightly) embarrassed that probably 37 of 42 statements here are food-related. Forty-two, also, is not by accident. It’s supposed to be the answer to the universe.
It’s the only non-prime number I dig in a big way (and I realize an easy way to say non-prime would be composite, yes.)
Some things you must believe even if doing so doesn’t feel like a stellar idea. It’s in your fabric. I believe I’ll be more cognizant of these beliefs now, and that feels good. I already have a good start on I believe … IX.
1. I believe every restaurant should have paper to draw on – and crayons – instead of tablecloths.
2. I believe even superheroes need some PTO.
3. I believe I get lots done in a cafe even when I get nothing done.
4. I believe happiness and deliciousness come from the same buffet table.
5. I believe my life is an abstract coloring book.
6. I believe if our least fine or least-wise moments don’t kill us, and, further, give us stories to tell, we should blog about it.
7. I believe emotional and intellectual risks take more courage than physical ones.
8. I believe it must be tough to be born on Dec. 24 or Dec. 25, and share a birthday with The Savior. I just have to jockey with Owen Wilson and Megyn Kelly for Nov. 18.
9. I believe faith requires no membership card.
10. I believe coaches try to win the World Cup on Saturday with children when their battle should be to foster love for the game and individual and team accomplishment instead.
11. I believe measuring cups are just suggestions.
12. I believe no matter who is president, cookie dough will be the winning ticket.
13. I believe frozen mojitos are a responsible drink choice, given the possible heat index of any given summer day.
14. I believe brownies for breakfast feels like a national movement waiting to happen.
15. I believe all good friends should have a funny Taco Bell story.
16. I believe I’m in favor of participation medals if they encourage us to strive for times and places that don’t include them.
17. I believe if I didn’t write, then my spleen would probably rupture.
18. I believe how our kids express themselves is the best form of art ever.
19. I believe secret handshakes are best with Cheeto-orange fingers.
20. I believe sometimes the toughest and most painful experiences hold within them the most valuable lessons, too.
21. I believe dreams are the cheese on the cheeseburger of life.
22. I believe showing kids compassion and pride impacts their self-worth.
23. I believe all essential ingredients for nachos should be sold from a central location in all grocery stores.
24. I believe I’ll never outgrow the hope of a snow day.
25. I believe bear claws beat push-ups. Every single time.
26. I believe The Pursuit of Cheese could be the working title to my autobiography.
27. I believe any day that begins with pancakes is destined for greatness.
28. I believe the older you get, the earlier it gets late.
29. I believe ice cream for breakfast ought to be a thing.
30. I believe courage is everywhere, from trying marmalade to saving the world.
31. I believe gift cards, as a dude accumulates Father’s Days and years, are the best gifts of all.
32. I believe the comeback is everything.
33. I believe a fist-bump from the Creator isn’t a bad way to end your shift in this world, after a life of service, compassion and contribution.
34. I believe that almost midnight, 10:05 a.m., 12:05 p.m. … it’s always a good time for a glass of milk and a cheeseburger.
35. I believe good-morning pizza could make Mondays feel like Fridays.
36. I believe a day can’t go wrong very easily if it contains street tacos.
37. I believe Mexican food is life force. (Yes, that’s four straight food I believes.)
38. I believe wobbling Pontiac Grand-Ams have important missions in this life.
39. I believe Havarti is an art form.
40. I believe dreams are so crucial. I mean, if we don’t have dreams, life is just mortgages and sore hamstrings, and with them, life is extra cheese and January Jones movies.
41. I believe music is just about as essential to life and love as cheese is. For real.
42. I believe if parenthood isn’t an adventure, you’re doing it wrong.
# # #